No, not the mongol derby. It might be epic, but it is also kind of stupid. As I said in a previous post I am keeping my bucket adventure open. Old Dominion currently is still the plan, but I'm sort of looking for alternative options in case things suddenly change.
A lot is going on in my life right now that shove me right off the path of my life goal. My Mom is eighty and lives at home alone. I no longer like this option for her, and feel it is getting too risky. Mom being of sharp mind disagrees. It scares the hell out of me. My work situation is a forty-five minute drive away from her, my hours are unpredictable as I am the fill in person for two other people, besides my normal hours, mandatory trainings and such. That all said, my window of opportunity could slam firmly shut at any given moment, mid-training, on the way to OD even, so my life is filled with uncertainty. Our family situation is such that not a lot of people will be standing in line to help out...been there done that a few years ago. I just can't say where I'll be or what I'm able to do from day to day, but want to keep my dreams alive. I figure if this takes me off my path, then God will have put me on the one ordained for me, right?
So I'm on course but looking for alternatives or possibly an uncertain start date. Worse come to worse it will give me more time to save the money to have an EPIC adventure. Not down, not out, just thinking ahead here. I'd like to look at some long-rider options. You know...riding a mountain range, or riding across a portion of the USA I've never seen before...something that involves my horse, and growth, change and maybe some adventure. So it will be the OD or it will be something refreshingly different and challenging, but the timing will be anyone's call.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association