Since the weather has turned cold and my riding is stagnant I'm often questioning the actual goal. Well---let me reiterate, it is not the goal in and of itself, but the expense vs. the benefit of the goal that I call into mental question. So the bucket goal may possibly segue into something entirely different, and if so I need to make my mind up on it by June of 2015.
The expense of just that single ride I'm thinking will be close to $1200 not including boots and whatever oddball thing she may need by then. I keep thinking of that, and what the training rides will cost to be ready. A couple of LD's perhaps, and at least four 50's would be probably easily another $1200 in entries and fuel. So is the goal worth the dollars to me? If not, what other goal might resonate more clearly for me? What would $2400 dollars buy in bang for the buck as far as AERC rides go? Approximately 13 entry fees , and $1200 left for the fuel tank. What other goals could I reach for with that nominal budget?
- 8 LD's would get Journey her 250 mile LD patch as she has 50 already in the bank.
- 3 Endurance rides would get her 250 mile Endurance patch.
- 8 Endurance rides would earn her a 250 and a 500 mile patch.
- 16 LD's in a single season might put us somewhere on the regional map, but in the lower standings.
- The Old Dominion goal will give me a shot at completing my toughest 50 (and a shot at failing my toughest 50 *LOL*) plus the handful of 50's to prepare for it which would possibly earn Journey her 250 patch in Endurance. We need 3 more 50's for that, and if I want to throw in a shot at an LD patch for her we'd need 8 more LD's which would put us over budget.