As reviews go, they don't get much more real than this. As you all know I took a header at full gallop last Saturday. I came off the saddle like a fulcrum, with the full impact on the left side of my head. Immediately I knew that something was not right. Weakness, dizziness, retching, pain. I was wearing my helmet. Thank God I was wearing my helmet.
You see, this is the funny thing about horse related accidents. You often can't predict them. Journey's runs had been going so smooth for quite a long time now. I didn't give credence to the hay bales, that they might cause her concern. She spun back a 180 and that was it. No time to react. Just my head impacting the ground. I never even had time to mentally process that I was falling.
It was a rough five days getting my stilts back under me. I was so lucky to have only a mild concussion and a badly bruised tail bone, and pulled groin muscle. It could have been so much worse and if not for the Tipperary Sportage helmet I believe I would not be sitting here typing this, and would likely have fractured my skull or worse.
Phoenix International is the company that makes the Tipperary Sportage helmet. I sent them a thank you note for saving my bacon. They came back with "We are glad you are okay, do you need a new helmet?" They are replacing my helmet, and I find that a very kind and honorable thing for a company to do. So they not only care about "that" ride, but care enough about the people that use their product to assure you are covered for "the next ride." Kudos to Phoenix International /Tipperary and their riding helmets.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association