Indiana is putting the hammer to us again. I plan to just focus on work for the next few days, cut back The Spotted Wonder's chow, and wait for it to break on Friday. Then hit the trails on the weekend for a good 24-25 miles, then some rest again, then back to the schedule as programmed for three weeks. Can't make up my mind if her freckled highness is stonewalling me, or really needs the break, so I'll err on the side of caution. Nothing wrong with her appetite, no hitches in her step, just some butt draggin. One good thing about Journey is that you can put her away for a few days and you don't have to re-invent the wheel. You just climb back on and get down to business.
I got a lot done over my long vacation. The horse trailer clean up, peeled apples until my hands turned black, froze up gallons of sliced apples. Rode about 47 miles, walked the dog about 6, made two apple pies, read a couple of books, and decided that I should be a stay at home full time horse mom and Bella Boopster walker. But alas...the house payment will come due. So back to work I return tomorrow.
Took the Boopster to the vet today. She broke a dew claw down near the quick and we had to have it yanked out. Let's say that Bella is generally not a good patient. Last trip it took three adults to get the stitches out. I'll give Dr. Martin credit though, he snuck up, yanked it out so fast that she didn't even know he'd done anything! She was much more concerned with the vet wrap on her foot, and was limping pitifully for a few minutes, holding her paw up with real dramatic effect...but later went for a half mile walk in the woods on all fours. So all is well.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association