May 5, 2012

Anatomy of the lower leg/hoof

I've never seen this before.  I was surprised at the rich blood supply to the hoof and what a wondrous mechanism the leg of the horse is considering the incredible stress we put on the hoof and leg.  All blood,  bone, and sinew acting as the pillar and support of a thousand pound moving animal.  Should the mechanism fail?  No hoof, no horse.   I'd happily give credit to the photo, but I know not from where it actually originated (shared from a friend).

1 comment:

  1. On of my fellow endurance rider friend recently posted this video where for an hour you can watch the dissection of a race horse. Really graphic but one of the things they showed you is how amazing the hoof and leg of a horse is and how much stress it can take before it fails. They also showed a bunch of really cool other things about how the horse's body functions in 'flight' and it gave be a whole new understanding of how a endurance horse really functions. If I can find the link again I'll post it up.

    ReplyDelete