Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
March 6, 2012
A look at our own numbers
We had 90.3 miles for February...not great. I looked at Journey's trotting speed as an average number and she's about 6.6 mph on the flats and 5 mph on a grade. So I'm thinking that an increase in speed is not what I need, rather an increase in duration and the ability to pull some of the easier uphills at the trot. So we will be doing more laps on our trotting track to build her duration at flat trotting, and then more intense uphill sessions at the trot to really push her heart rate up and strengthen those pulling and pushing muscles (how is that for technical terminology). Journey has really developed in the past six months. Emotionally she is a much for balanced horse except for an occaisional rebellion...physically hardly resembles the same horse as her topline keeps filling in, and musculature has becomed much more defined. Her staying power is way better than in the beginning, but still leaves much to be desired. If I can get a good solid 6 mph average across the board I'll be satisfied. I'm not sure what the expectation will be too build her up time wise a year or two? Does anyone know a mathematical formula of how to crunch the numbers of the percentage of time you have to trot at what speed to complete? Since there is always walking in the mix and that is our serious weakness, we've got to do less of it! If Chicken Chase gets canceled maybe we can squish in another clinic. That would be awesome ☺