Tomorrow the Tevis Cup (Western States Trail Ride) which has traditionally been run during the heat of summer begins. Robie Park the starting place was dumped with about eight inches of snow, though ride day forecasts sunny temps near 64 degrees. The launch off place for the ride usually out of Robie Park has been changed to the Gold County Fairgrounds in Auburn due to snow. I'm wondering also about the higher elevations of the ride...and what that will mean for horse and rider wading through deep previous snowfall? It should be interesting to follow during and after this year.
If you want to follow the ride via internet tomorrow the link is TEVIS WEBCAST
To go to the main website Click here
Each year I choose a few to watch as favorites. Since Mel has had the audacity to enroll in veterinary studies (what was she thinking?) I have to live vicariously through the ride of someone else.
So this year my picks to follow are:
#36 Heather Reynolds from California on Heir Express
#32 Jeremy Reynolds from California on River Watch
#9 Lisa Ford from Colorado on GE Cyclone (I'm cheering on Lisa for another good show for booting)
#171 Robert Spoor from California on Logistic
#7Crocket Dumas from Utah on OT Sara Moniet SRI
#153 Christoph Schork from Utah on a horse yet to be determined...
#12Potato Richardson from California on Fille De Masson (because his DVD made me laugh and characters in general intrigue me).
I wish them all the best of luck as they challenge one of the toughest endurance trails in the country and maybe the toughest conditions ever. I live vicariously through them all each year. Can't wait to hear the ride stories. Ride safe all! ~ E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association