July 14, 2011

The De-militarized Zone

I've had an updated version of what happened with the horses from the person who found the horse (yes, horse) out.  Apparently the gate incident only involved Journey.  Why she would have crashed through the steel gate vs. the adjoining electrobraid fence?  Our weekend project is to take down the gate and put up a mulit-strand electrobraid gap gate there.  As well as where the colt got in.

In the meantime...I have installed the demilitarized zone on the logging road that runs to the small temporary pasture which was the stud colt's means of entry.   First I put up a 3-tiered portable electric fence across the road, followed by a rope that runs between trees at two levels.  Funder would be proud of me, as it is absolutely beyond redneck, ghetto, or other more atrocious rigged up, duct taped, inventions. 

The odds that Journey would be bred are remote since she was not in heat.  Phebes...was in raging heat.  The colt in question is so badly conformed that an accidental breeding by a german shepherd would have been preferable.  The yearling colt is about the size of a six month old colt, so I keep repeating to myself that maybe it would not reach...and I think I may be emotionally (permanently) traumatized by the event.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh oh I so hope your mares are unsullied!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems, from my quick google search that colts do not reach maturity until 2-3 years of age. It looks like Phebes should be safe from having to give birth to a....hoppy ? (horse x puppy...playing off your german shepherd analogy :-)

    But good idea to be proactive. Unless they plan to geld the colt in the next year or so, you could have a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole,

    I think that is physical maturity, not when semen becomes motile. All my reading this week indicated that a breeding is possible as early as 6 months (if they get the job done).

    :(

    The possibility horrifies me. The colt is a scraggly 1/2 paint, 1/2 tennesee walker, crooked legged, horrible specimen. In fact if he were a high dollar endurance stud I wouldn't have wanted the "free" visit due to her metabolic issues.

    Just shoot me if it's true. Just shoot me now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Apparently the vet can do an ultrasound 15 days after breeding to check for pregnancy. Also keep an eye on her to see if she goes back into heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is she still acting like she's in heat? Hopefully she didn't get that, uh - itch, scratched . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd probably call your vet and ask them your options. My sisters horse is the result of a six month old colt being on the other side of a fence. Definitely not something anyone thought would happen, and a more stubborn, badly confirmed horse I've never seen. No matter what we do nature tends to find a way.
    I know if I were in your shoes I'd be in the phone with the vet. I know with dogs the sooner you take them yup the vet the better the chances you can stop a pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I am dyin at the thought of your ghettoneck horse jail! I know vets can do something simple to terminate a fugly pregnancy, but I can't remember what. Definitely call if she doesn't come back into heat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awful!!!! I can't even imagine how furious I would be if this happened to me.

    I'm about to give some unasked for advice...so please forgive me. If I was in your siutation, I would send the stud colt's owner a bill for the ultrasound, and if she's preggo, (and you decide to chose the option), and the vet has to go in a lute it...I'd expect them to pay for that as well. IMO it is the responsibilty of a stud's owner to keep their horse from unwanted breeding.

    Of course, this probably will NOT promote harmony among your neighbors. *sigh* SO VERY SORRY FOR YOU. Grrr....makes me so mad for you.

    ReplyDelete