The vet said to give it to her today and tomorrow if necessary. Over her loin and topline of rump she is swollen and tight to the point of humping up under the skin. I've massaged the area a couple times today but she finds this uncomfortable. He said to give her five days off and go into slow work...I just don't think she'll turn around that fast. Honestly it feels worse than what happened two years ago. She was just trembling she hurt so bad when it happened. Honestly I have bawled my guts out most of the day. She is eating, drinking, and does not appear lame or short striding in her movement, just muscle rigiditiy. It feels almost that something intrinsic in me has died a miserable death, only I got to watch. I can't express how important my "horse time" is for my happiness. From the time I was three, all I could ever think of was a horse. Later a beautiful arabian horse, then later still...an endurance horse. Nobody ever wanted to trot down the trail, or ride for hours, or ride solo the way that I do. I've invested seven years of sweat equity in this little mare, and I don't know how to help her other than to quit having her do it. I've done everything advised including Vitamin E, Selenium, low starch diet, riding her slow (slower than 99%) of other riders on the trail.
*sigh* *very big sigh*.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association