ENDURANCE TRAINING CLINICS would be a beautiful thing for new people and/or new horses coming into the sport. They might be available out west, but nothing like that here in the midwest that I know of. A "Getting Started in Endurance" clinic would ideally be presented by riders who have accrued a lot of mileage on the same horse, rather than someone who races. We see reining clinics, bomb proofing clinics, cow clinics, barrel racing clinics, hobble clinics, round penning, blah blah blah blah blah clinics. But where are the Getting Started in Endurance Clinics?
But here we are, Funder with her horse related issues and me with mine. I can't speak for Funder and Dixie since I haven't had the pleasure of meeting either in person, or riding with. But I can honestly say that virtually ALL of Phebes issues are related to starting her at too fast of a pace. She mentally could not handle the stress of all the new stimuli and churning down the trail. It set into motion a pattern of difficulties that I expect we will be unraveling for the next few years. Not worth it. Seriously...NOT WORTH IT. I still believe that Phebes can, because on training rides she does great now. It is in the presence of other horses that the mental unraveling occurs.
So! Back to the real topic of drinking. Here's what I'm trying currently.
Low dose electrolytes in a water carrier / with a water chaser.
Offering water at every water crossing.
Offering water at the horse trailer (this horse virutally NEVER drinks at the trailer).
Things I'm going to try:
- Adding flavoring to a bucket of water. My thoughts are that if I can find something pre-ride she will really slurp down...that would be half the battle, starting out well-hydrated and electrolyted. Thoughts on this are molasses, powdered Gator Aid, Apple Juice, or Horse Quincher (some folks swear by it).
- Not offering water at the trailer. You say what??! It might make the water on trail look a lot better. Phebes favorite trail water is the one that has frog eggs in it.
- Spending a few days offering water out of a bucket as the ONLY drinking source in case "bucket" is the real issue.
- Offering a legal something or other to calm her stomach, as the excitement may be creating a gastric issue of some sort?
- A hypnotist (maybe I could be calmer) *LOL*