June 8, 2009

The On-board Polar is here!

We are taking today off. Phebes had two in a row so I want her to have 24 hours of R&R before I ride again. Tomorrow I will test drive the on-board Polar transmitter. I'm going to hook it up and ride trotting intervals in the arena. I want to see what rate she is running at the easy to ride trot, and the extended power trot. What I'm looking for is a sweet spot where her pulse remains steady, calm, and well below 150 bpm. Once I know what that is, the next session I'll take her out on trail and watch what happens when we climb and descend hills, and trot "OUT THERE" where she tends to be reactive to every turned over leaf and stick. I want to get a clear idea of what her normals are, then apply these values to training, and how far to push the envelope with her. I've had so many people tell me what a really helpful tool this can be. It will also be helpful coming into the vet checks as I'll be able to see when her pulse drops and get her into the pulse gate timely.

I'm feeling pretty positive about her recovery right now. She is just itching to go, but has been listening pretty well to me concerning her rate. As long as she doesn't break from the trot, to the canter I'm happy. We've had a couple rides now with one other horse. It will be another thing to have her listen in a crowd. I feel determined to ride our own ride the next time out. So my ride strategy will be slow, steady, and by ourselves for the most part. Though I more enjoy riding "with" others, I don't think it is in Phebe's best interest when it comes to an actual ride.

Will keep you posted on the new Polar Heart Monitor. ~E.G.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun with your new toy! A heart monitor helped me a lot when I was trying to learn Minx's normals in the beginning.

    I tell you what - there's nothing like a near diasaster (or an actual one) to cement the determination to ride ones own ride! It took me a season of endurance to learn this and after that I was ADAMENT that the horse rode my ride (not it's best buddy's) and that was the BOTTOM LINE. It's served me well and I haven't gotten sucked into a pace or dragged it since. My point is (in case it was lost in all those superflicious words....) that sometimes you CAN'T ride your ride because you aren't determined enough until something happens! (at least that is how it was for me!)

    ReplyDelete