It took a little fiddling to get the sensors in their sweet spot, but once they were the thing worked great. I do have to figure out what to do with all those dangling wires to keep them from catching on something. What I know so far is:
Phebes pulses to or below criteria of 60 bpm at the walk, even with a rider on board, at least in our test ride today in the arena.
At the slow trot she pulses between 78-84 bpm. At the extended trot she pulses 92-96 bpm.
These values were on the flat. We worked a little less than an hour. It is hot and very humid. Worse, Phebes found some clover today which she is very sensitive to and is drooling and looking a little goo-ey eyed. We have them blocked off from most of it, but she still got some. I just didn't think she was feeling great so we cut our session short. I'd rather have a horse come the weekend as we have a couple of park rides in the plan if all goes well. I feel that this piece of equipment will be very valuable in seeing how my ride is "really" going. I know it can't tell me everything I need to know, but it is at least a good indicator of what I'm asking of her, too little or too much. I want to learn to ride keeping her pulse well below the 150 range...maybe below 130 bpm. We may end up winning the turtle award sometime this year yet! ~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association