Four days until the Chicken Chase.
Our plan for the week is just some round pen work for flexibility.
Under the impression that this cold weather will lift!
Really putting the feed to Phebes at this point to maintain her weight.
Our weather has turned off chilly again, and everything is soggy from the intermittent rain showers. I'm crossing everything for nicer temps this weekend, especially at night as I'll be camping without any heat. I'll be missing my Rat Terrier for sure as she comes in handy when it is cold *LOL* It looks like we'll be riding on Saturday, though I'll be going to Henryville on Friday to get myself set-up. Michelle I believe you on the kicking thing. Poor Phebes has been kicked twice in the past seven days because she trotted up on somebody. I have a difficult time with that as she has a very long stride for a short horse. She out paces the horse in front and then we are there right behind. I'm not really wanting to pass, but we don't want kicked necessarily either. I've also given thought to Phebes being the kicker...she hasn't offered to kick another horse yet, but that isn't to say she wouldn't in a high stress situation, so I'm putting red in her tail, just in case. I'm going to do my best to just stay out of the way......now that is the competitive spirit! ~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association