Three days and counting.
Horse is getting her hinds trimmed this evening.
Re-checking my list for what I may have forgot to pack...
I got home from work just a little while ago, and there were no grey horses in the paddock, they were all this muddy shade of brown. Sure hope I can get her a bath early Friday morning. Making a list of what still needs shoved in the truck and trailer, and it looks like I've still got a hefty little list of things to gather up. Getting ready to change out of my work clothes for something worthy of mud and horse hair! ~E.G.
UPDATE: The hoof trimming is done. Doug got a really nice roll on the back hooves, which is not an easy project with her. We also noticed a slight ridge about a quarter inch below the coronet on her fronts. I've never had this happen with her, and wondering if it is as a result of the feed change a few months ago...or from the concussion of riding on frozen ground over the winter months. Something happened on her hoof radar that has never happened before, but it has been at least a month or two back based on where the little ridge is. Regardless she's moving sound on all four. Now I just have to make up my mind about booting. Wish I'd have had the opportunity to ride that full fifteen mile loop so I would know how much gravel we'll face and if it is new gravel, or old beat into the mud gravel. The easy answer would be to just boot and be done with it...but someday I really want to dare to be bare!
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association