December 2, 2008

I'm looking for some good articles on hauling in the winter

How to keep Phebes from turning into a popsickle on a two hour haul in the 30's or lower. She'll likely not eat during the process due to nerves. Should I double blanket her? I've never done winter hauling before. Thoughts anybody? Her stall blocks the wind, the one behind her has an opening where air can come through. I put kitty litter on the floor to give the floor better "grip". I have a polar fleece liner, and a midweight horse blanket, and a lightweight cooler. Should I layer them all on her?

~E.G.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I haul in the winter all the time, and often find they either don't need to be blanketed at all or very lightly. I recently (as in, on Sunday) blanketed my gelding for a 6 hour haul back to school since we go through mountains and it can get pretty chilly up there. I stopped an hour into my trip (it was in the 30's in the lowlands) and the poor guy was dripping sweat. In my experience, they do generate a lot of heat balancing in the trailer, and between that and the lack of wind, they can get pretty toasty. My trailer is an older two horse with an open back, too. I'd probably go with just the polar fleece liner--it'll be enough to add a little warmth, but it's breathable in case she does get toasty. Good luck!

    Elly
    ownedbyazoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a polarfleece blanket/sheet that will breath if I need to when hauling. Usually if I am going far, we stop to let the horses out and if they are warm will take it off then, but lots of times when traveling this time of year we get them out of the trailer into the cold and if there is a breeze it's nice to have the fleece on them.

    Be sure to check and see if the kitty litter still works if it gets wet and doesn't make things more slick.

    ReplyDelete