Phebes is still balking like mad for that intial load. Pressure from behind doesn't work, pressure from the halter eventually works, but I sure want to get past the battle. Loaded her up last night after some struggle, closed the divider, added "Big Cree" to the back of the trailer (he barely fits by the way....he's gonna need ear socks to protect his ears) closed the door, and gave everyone a carrot to munch on. Unloaded them, and then re-loaded Phebes, and she walked right in. Wish I could get to the bottom of her initial resistence to load. I just have this underlying fear that I'll haul her somewhere and then not be able to get her back into the trailer.
Puddin' has been pretty much out of commission this year. Her bad eye that has the uveitis flares up about every ten days now. Banamine works to clear it up, but as soon as she goes off of it, the problem returns. Uveitis is horribly painful, so she has mostly stood under the shade of the barn wearing her fly mask this year. The cure for this disease is to remove the eyeball....I don't have the heart to do that yet. Banamine paste is very expensive, and long term I don't think it is good for the kidneys. We are going to inquire about Bute, to see is it is effective against Uveitis. Either way, Puddin' can't legally enter any competitions in the future as she would test positive for banned substances. She is so blind it is not safe to move out fast anymore anyway. Last time I rode her she fell over a low log, guess she just didn't see it. So a clear easy trail will be Puddin's limit in the future. Sad to see such a lovely vital horse come to the end of the road. Especially since she owns my heart....lock stock and barrel.~Endurance Granny
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association