June 3, 2008

Working out some of the bugs with Phebes

Whew! Riding a young green horse sure is "exciting". You never know what will happen next. When you expect something, all is well, and when you don't it's spoooooooooooook city! I'm not complaining though, Phebes is doing well for the most part. She has improved significantly on her hill climbing. She's quit rushing, and better still -- no bucking on the hills. Now I have to figure out how to get her to stop wanting to jump those logs and water crossings. She was doing better on the water crossings, and has went a little backwards. If there is any kind of a bank involved, she will jump it or hop over. If the crossing is flat, she will walk into the water and cross nicely. She jumped one log with so much impulsion last week that I nearly went over her head!!! Caught myself by pushing off of her neck to get back in the saddle. When she puts her hind legs under herself it will lift me six or eight inches straight up in the air. But no grumbling here, I'm happy she is making progress. Thank God for Doug, if he wasn't riding with me, don't know what I'd have done. Now we are regularly riding down the road, off the property, and onto the trail, and I'm loving it!
Happy Trails~Endurance Granny

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you. Sounds like you are doing great. I check in now and again (interesting topic and I get a chance to see how a favorite person is doing).

    Keep up the great work. I remember where you and Phebes started and you two are making great strides forward!!!

    Meri

    ReplyDelete