I'm so happy to see a string of good days for Phebes. We have so much desensitizing yet, as she has been exposed to very little. She's okay with the tarp and the rubber ball, it is real things she needs, creeks, hills, critters.... She again walked, trotted, and cantered with her saddle on. She was a little "goosey" a few times but did not resort to bucking which is such an improvement. It rained this morning and the footing in the pen is a little wet. Have to drive to Cinci to the vet today for our dog Molly so Phebes will get the day off. I'm trying to get her to act more joined up. She gives it to me in the setting of the round pen, but still wants to blow me off outside of the pen. I don't think I've been granted leadership as yet, at least not fully, which is what it will require. She is so strong willed.
Rode Puddin' again yesterday, hope to have her legged up over the next six weeks or so. She was very fit last summer. Puddin' is a wee bit FAT this spring, and she has so much energy she's a handful to contain. My plan is to ride her off alone each day that I can to work out her barn sourness at present. Needing to get her out of hearing range of the other two calling for her.
If life goes well, hoping to have the trailer licensed and ready for the road by next week. Would like to spend some half days at the park with Puddin' start those long slow muddy rides. Still have to pick up her park pass and mine too.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association