March 27, 2007

Ground Work Yesterday and Back Under Saddle Today

The round pen is again dry enough to safely work with Phebes. Yesterday we concentrated on ground work again. Especially her yielding her head with lighter and lighter pressure on the halter. It paid off today. Put her under saddle again at the walk. We worked on walking and steering, and I swear she's following the feel really well with the use of a side pull. We walked 3/4 of a mile in the round pen, changing directions often. Practiced her "whoa" which she does but she's kind of slow to catch the cue yet, and she backed up nice with three gentle tries. This all says I'M DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. I'm so thankful that Puddin's saddle is fitting her. I'd feel safer with a horn at this point though as Puddin's is an endurance saddle with no horn, so no emergency holding on place. Thus far I've not needed it. She's been really really quiet. Not as forward as I'd like, but we'll work on that. Today I feel happy and blessed to have taken her as far as I've got, by myself. It feels GOOD. ~Endurance Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment