With the job, the cold, the wet, the snow, the lack of daylight...it is hard to get riding in on the girls. Yesterday was a short work day for me. I got off at 1 p.m. Had to make a dreaded run to Walmart for thread. Looked in the store for glass etching chemical to no avail. 1 p.m became 1:30. Made a bank deposit, and a trip to the feed store before I could leave town and head for home. 2:00 p.m., home at 2:30 p.m. Wood stove was burned out. Built a fire from scratch, let the dog out. 2:45 p.m. Cleaned the horse's stalls and set up their feed buckets for later. 3:00 p.m. Caught horse, saddled horse, and it was 3:15 p.m. Which gave me 15 minutes to ride her before I had to untack and think about starting some food for supper (LSEGH gets home about 3:30). It makes me kind of crazy that if I don't put "ride" first nothing happens. But if I do put "ride" first then everything else kind of falls apart and falls behind. My time availability to ride is constantly pressured by outside forces all pretty much beyond my control. Unless I draw some kind of hard line in the sand and say I'm doing it the rest be damned! I am ready for longer days ☺
Phebes did well for her whole fifteen minutes of riding. Mare ears on transitions, but otherwise not a blip on the radar. She was very good. Perhaps today I will have more than fifteen minutes to call my very own!
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association