Do you struggle with it or against it? No I'm not referring to relations with the S.O. Rather, the desire to ride and put in long miles, day after day, and week after week. Sometimes I am passionate about it and can't get enough rides to fill the void, and at other times (like currently) it is all I can do to drag myself out to the barn. I have found that my desire to ride is firmly entrenched in goal setting, and the goal has to be somewhat immediately reachable. Not a today goal, or a tomorrow goal, but certainly a goal that is attainable or attempt-able within a ninety day period. Or I just SHUT-DOWN. I wish that the farther flung ideals would grasp me by the throat and make me want to work my horse, but it does not, while to reach those further goals you need to be working now.
I've settled into the realization that I will never (due to geographic vs. financial considerations) be in the hunt for anything in the sport other than my personal small victories. I'm okay with that really, though it took a lot of angst on my part to finally accept that. If I earned another 10 K a year I could play frequently, but then I don't know that I would as there are more pressing matters like age, retirement (sans nest-egg), paying off the mortgage, and the inclining cost of medical care at a time in life when you need to lean more heavily on receiving it.
But still...desire, though more ethereal than in past years, more fleeting, more realistic. I'm in a slump, I need a goal closer than the OD to keep my motor running.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association