Conditioning the Endurance Horse
Endurance 101 article part one --- part two and part three.
Old Dominion's primer on getting started.
SERA's conditioning program here.
Preparing the Endurance Horse by Eric Hought click here.
And for the competitive rider or upping your game Perseverance Endurance's training program here.
If you have your horse and your equipment fits the above resources will have you well on the way to building condition for your first Limited Distance or Endurance ride. Though there are a number of books you can purchase on the subject, when it comes to conditioning programs...why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? There are many great online sources that will help if not completely answer your questions.
Feeding the Endurance Horse
Kentucky Equine Research answers your questions on feeding the sport horse.
Feeding the Endurance Horse by Ray Geor, BVSc, PhD, Dipl. ACVIM
How endurance horses are fed in Sweden.
How it's done in the land down under.
Myths concerning fat for the endurance horse.
Time of feeding prior to a ride.
Another look at diets from Australia.
Electrolytes for the endurance horse.
Kentucky Equine Research on electrolytes.
Jeannie Waldron, DVM on electrolytes.
Electrolyte supplementation for endurance horses.
Risks of Endurance Riding
Risk factors for elimination.
Rider Handbook (AERC) here.
There is a plethora of information available on the web. Research, ride, and enjoy!
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association