March 29, 2014

It's good, but it's bad.






Journey's blood work came back fine.  No elevation of eosinophils (elevates with severe allergic reaction).  Everything good.  So the cough is barn related, likely mild heaves in vet's opinion.   I misquoted the medication she was put on which "is" for allergy.  It is TriHist.  I did not hear her cough today.   On the other hand it is raining so everything is "damp."    I'm going to go ahead with TriHist for a week and see what it does or doesn't do to help.  No change, off it she goes.  If it helps, I'll re-think the possibility (doubtful) of allergy.

So I have to figure out how to keep her outside in the winter, and warm I dry at the same time, without building another structure.   I'm wondering if I closed the front of her stall off from the barn hay storage area if that would be enough?   And maybe latch her door open for better air circulation, and she could come in and out as she pleases?   My thoughts are that the hay storage causes the dustiness in the barn, and their stall fronts are open to inside of the barn.   The barn has a lot of deep chaff from the constant stacking and unstacking of hay out there, so I'll have my work cut out for me as soon as I get enough grass to get them out.  I'd like to get all that out of there, and sweep the concrete, and probably cover the hay stacks with some large tarps to reduce circulating stuff that comes off the bales.  I could also put wooden fencing up higher on the run area where they enter the barn.  It is about five feet wide, but if she gets goofing off I don't want her busting something.  The last issue is the hay itself.  We try to buy good quality hay for the horses, usually timothy or fescue, and avoid the leafy stuff.  We did end up with one bad round bale this season, and about four small square bales with some mold which we discarded.  I'm not going to do round bales anymore.  Loved the convenience of putting one out once a week, but not worth the risk of the dustiness or hidden mold spores.      So I've got lots to chew on, and a horse heading to a ride in four weeks.  Not sure how ready we will be / or if we will be ready at all.   Sad when you hope the vet tells you your horse has allergies, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment