August 2, 2013

We had a wreck

I don't know what happened, but we were cantering across the back field, Journey acted like she tripped, and fell flat on her face, thought she was going to flip, but caught herself.  Scared the crap out of me that we both could have been hurt.  I didn't come off but only because Journey caught herself before she rolled.  Hand walked her in, and cold hosed her legs.  She seems alright, but tomorrow will tell if there is swelling, or gait abnormality.  I'm going to have to go back where it happened and see if there is a root, or a hole, or what.  We'd increased our mileage this evening, but decreased our overall speed.  I had her hinds in Pegasus boots to protect from the pastern, and up.  She still whacked herself on the hind. 

Have some serious figuring out to do I reckon.  Journey is really important to me.  More important than my goals.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you weren't hurt! How scary...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went back out there on foot and looked over the trail. There was nothing she could have tripped over, or stepped in. It looks like she didn't fully break over as the dirt impression is a deep divet where she went down. I'm not sure if she was tired and getting sloppy with her feet, or just not being attentive to the terrain, or if there is an underlying issue. We are going to give her a trim, and see if we can't get her breaking over cleanly.

    It was scary, I thought as we went down, "I'm going to get hurt this time."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Not the next update I was hoping to read from you. I'm glad you both came out of it okay.

    Horses. Sometimes all the bubble wrap in the world can't keep them upright and unscathed.

    ReplyDelete