I am two. Sitting beneath a percheron. Enjoying the shade.
I am three. Feeding the neighbor's horse a cup of sugar from a banana split boat.
I am four. Taken for a ride, and I am already cracked up on horse.
I am five. I give my Granny anatomically correct drawings of the horse across the road.
I am six. I am imprinted. There is nothing as beautiful as the horse.
I am ten. My uncle buys for me a pony. Which my father will not allow me to ride.
I am twelve. The pony is sold (because I'm not allowed to ride it) and I experience my life's very first heart break.
I am twenty six. My first horse. A little buckskin half-arabian. My second horse. Gallie Joe, a leggy purebred that doesn't like men. I discover something called endurance. A dream is in the pit of my belly... Divorce.
I am forty-eight. My heart horse. She gives me my first taste of what distance riding is. My lovely mare is euthanized at nineteen years of age.
I am fifty. Training again. The horse has metabolic disorders.
I am fifty-three. The Spotted Wonder arrives. She has lived in a stall and small lot most of her life. She won't leave her buddies. She bucks like a fiend when you try to canter. She grabs the bit and bolts, and does the driving when the notion suits her.
I am fifty-five. The coal is still burning deep in my belly. I have waited a lifetime it seems. The Spotted Wonder is indeed becoming wonderful. Hoof beats in the right direction ♥
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association