Since it is hot and muggy I've been running the HRM on Journey so that I can have some evidence of pulse up/down. Feeling my way along to where she is at: the beginning. Though the Spotted Wonder has an initial rocket booster heading out on the trail, the flame sort of goes out--and quickly! We did manage ten miles over the weekend SLOW. The new fangled cooling device came out, and did its job nicely, pulsing her down before we ran that sucker dry.
I've been bothered lately by all the wires, dangling pack straps, and "stuff" hanging from the saddle. Pulled out the old Singer last night and put velcro straps on my pommel pack. It strapped on pretty well, just have to test ride it. If I don't like that, I'll sew down snaps on the thing. My heart rate monitor always has those wires....using the blue suede scraps from my last sewn pair of half-chaps I fashioned a little fold over case to hold the excess wires in one compact little space that tucks right behind my water bottle.
My new sponge wasn't doing me much good laying on the cot in the horse trailer. Having looked high and low for my sponge bag and not finding it, I stitched up a bag for it with ring to snap onto the saddle. It is pretty! I hold no illusions that it will look like that for long.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association