Growing up I didn't know a whole lot about dogs. In those days dogs were chained, or penned, ate table scraps, and Purina Dog Chow. Looking back on those childhood days and the life of the dogs back then I'd say sadly their life was one of confinement, loneliness, and isolation. Those thoughts bring my sadness. As there was little wrong with the dogs, and much wrong with the humans who claimed to own them.
Segue many many years. I've been a Mom four times, married, divorced, remarried lots of water under the bridge (hell, let's tell it straight a raging flood has gone under, over, and around the bridge). I marry LSEGH and at some point decide that a dog would be good. But this man of mine has a different way of keeping dogs, a dog should live in the house, be a companion, and a friend, not a possession, a treasure. Was he ever right ☺ The first new member of the family was Spink (short for sphincter).
And then Molly.
Molly two-toes Brown. I had a group of online friends that fed-exed a check to get her heartworm treatment. I cried that day. Good people with kind hearts caring about this silly old girl. I don't know how old Molly was. We had her about six years and finally the tumors more or less did her in. If I could describe Molly it was grateful. She always waited at the door for "permission" to come in. She waited at the bed for "permission" to come on up, and her eyes were so happy when we always said yes.
All that is left in our household today is Maggie May. Another foundling. A dog so fearful that still I cannot reach down to pet her without her hunkering and trembling.
I cannot imagine a life without dogs. I can foresee a day that I no longer have horses. But never, please never, a life without dogs ♥
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association