I was invited to Marti C's home this morning about two hours north of here for a free "welcome" to the clan orienteering clinic, complete with horses, trails, and targets. Marti is as they say in this neck of the midwest "good people." She taught me, she fed me, shared her horses, and her at home course on the biggest farm I've ever personally toured. She and her husband's home is a pre-civil war two story brick home. Two rooms of this house would have held my entire living arrangement! It is everything a house should be, solid three layer-German built brick, a fire burning, couple of cute dogs, and happy people living inside. She also took me on the farm RANGER and I became intimate with wooden gates, tubular gates, hot electric fence gates, and various other gate configurations. We toured the cattle ranging on the acreage, the cows are calving so little calves all over the place. I was served up a nice lunch, scoped out where they will be camping at the CMO ride next weekend, and promised to show up should the sky not fall on me. I was able to find all of the from targets, but the to, well....um....it was like someone put a stir stick in my brain and was whipping up breakfast. But after getting home I think (check, yeppers, well...sort of fuzzy, but) I got it. I can't imagine getting up a head of steam doing this on anything but a known trail system, otherwise this chick is going to be doing a different form of orienteering *LOL*. I had a very nice day, and can't say how much I appreciated the instant friendship.
Next on Journey's agenda will be standing still for me to read the compass, any of you all want to talk to the spotted wonder on this score? I reckon I'd better be rattling a paper map around on her back too.
CMO---Here we go!
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association