I have all kinds of mixed feelings about this one. Being a dues paying member I feel personally that I should have an "ownership" if you will of my own ride record. I feel no opposition to being blocked from anyone else's ride record if my dues aren't paid, but I take slight offense to the idea that should I have a tight year, and want to access my record (such as it is) and reminisce about it that since I have paid for the privilege of riding, and paid my dues for the purpose of tracking my ride &; horse history I should always have access to my own record.
The idea behind this move with the BOD is that it will add "value" to the membership. Meaning if non-members want to access the record they will have to join the organization. The only way I see this as an added value is to the organization rather than the membership at large. That's okay, but say it like it is...
My question is:
Will it gain us members, or will blocking ride records discourage newbies altogether? As I said, I have mixed feelings about it, doubts about it, and seriously NEVER want blocked from my ride record as it means a lot to me. However, I would not be willing to pay for the privilige of viewing it were I to decide to not ride for a year, or two, or forever. I'd simply print it out before my renewal date and be done with it.
What say you? Is your ride record your own? Or does the AERC own it? Something to think about. Sure stirred the pot this week on the unofficial AERC ride forums.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association