July 13, 2012

The Old Gaiters -- Rubs-- and stuff.

After some reflection, and comparison as to how the old style gaiters are sitting on the rear hoof I came to the conclusion that what I had perceived as a scrape was in fact a rub from the top edge of the gaiter.  Her rear hoof had a wrap of vet wrap on it, but it had worked itself down after getting wet.  However--the old style gaiters look great, nothing is ripping apart including the velcro.  So I'm still pretty set on making these work.  I did recall that Chris Martin had used a waist trimmer belt to fashion inner liners for Monk way back when.  I was unable to dredge up any photos or instructions for comparisons so I had to kind of wing it.  I purchased two of these for $4.97 each at Wal-mart.

Gold's Gym Waist Trimmer Belt

The inner material is a super thin neoprene, and the outer layer is receptive to hook type velcro. The stuff has some stretch to it too.   I used the wow-sham pattern from before, cut out a few that shape which is basically the shape of the gaiter plus an inch or so to go past all those edges on the gaiter.  I then sewed the hook velcro onto the grey side (outer) with the large stitch setting on my old Singer.  When I put these on her I kind of stretch it a little, then fasten the velcro at an angle.  Then I apply the boot over it.  Test rode it for six and half miles with uphill trotting and cantering, and some flat cantering.  NO RUBS!  Now I have to see how well they make it through the washer.  If that goes well I'll purchase two more of the belts and make enough so that we always have spares, will probably stick one in our saddle bag with the spare boot just in case too.  I was only able to get three of the liners from a belt, so about $2 each to make including the cost of the velcro.  One roll of vet wrap costs that every time I ride.  So these are going to work out okay I think.  (Thanks Chris if you happen by).  Monk moved in them okay, good enough for Monk, good enough for us ☺

*************************************

Journey's time off seems to have put some gas in her tank.  She is rolling along with a better trotting speed.   Today's ride she was trotting out at 8 and 9 mph when she hustled, and about 7.7 when she was dogging it.   We continue to short sprints of cantering and though cantering will never be her gear, it seems to have effected the strength of her trot for the better.  If I could only work out that terrible slow walk!  I know she can walk 4 mph.  Point her towards home and she can walk out just fine...little old Appy just sees no reason to hurry "away" from home.  The Spotted Wonder sometimes functions on her own agenda.

**************************************

We had our first serious turkey explosion today.  Guess it was sleeping and didn't hear all of our jingling and jangling, it exploded from the brush, Journey hit the brakes, and started to spin, and I grabbed me a hunk of mane hair and leaned into her neck.  I believe she thought the turkey had her as she suddenly froze in place.  Good girl.  Holding still is good.

*************************************
Our poor garden is struggling along.  The only thing producing much of anything is yellow squash.  That stuff quick fried in a little butter, salt, pepper, and sprinkle of sugar and some chopped onions is the bomb.  Low calorie, healthy, and good.  Indiana is continuing in a serious drought.  Doug had small square bale (50 lbs) priced to him at over $8 each yesterday, and we saw alfalfa on a truck for $9.  The big round bales which would last about one week here are $100.  I'm worried about people (myself included) and their ability to continue caring for their horses if the price of everything continues to rise.  The corn prices are going to skyrocket which will effect the price of corn oil, fuel, all meat and dairy, horse feeds, pet foods, not to mention that the US supplies a lot to the rest of the world.   I know for me personally things are tougher than I can remember in my fifty some years, and there are a lot of folks having it harder.   Just makes you wonder when/ if there will be a recovery to the economy.

*************************************

I'm still hoping to attempt two or three rides this season.  We are loosely still shooting for an attempt at a 50 but will only point Journey at one if I feel her recovery from some LD's is getting "easy".  We aren't there yet.  I'd like so find someone to ride with for a first 50, since I've never done that distance.  Another set of experienced eyes and ears would be nice as I'm sure I'll worry more over Journey's safety.  It's a plan anyway!

Have a great weekend.

~ E.G.

2 comments:

  1. Your boot woes remind me why I shoe. Hope you get something worked out for you that does not rub, and is super easy to deal with on long rides

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were not for my handy barefoot trimming husband...I'd just give it up. With Phebes it was much easier as she didn't interfere, and at least 90% of the time we ran completely bare.

    With Journey, I pick out the hooves, wrap with vet wrap, wrap with a gaiter liner, pound on a boot. My tacking up process has gone from 15 minutes, to now 45 minutes before I can throw a leg over and ride.

    It makes me grumpy!

    I totally get why people shoe. My feelings are that overall a bare hoof is a nice healthy alternative if you have a hoof capable of doing it. Not every horse does, nor does every rider have the time or inclination to want to mess with it. When something is working, I can't tell someone to change what they are doing.

    My feeling is that for weekend competition a glue on will be our best bet. Hopefully I will be able to forget about gaiters, the boots will stay on, and I can worry about prying them loose a few days later.

    ReplyDelete