Scroll down and read the Hot Topics thinking outside the box comments...wonder where I've heard these opinions expressed before...?
Even a myoptic squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Regardless, yes we need to think about this sports longevity and that will not happen by excluding riders who support the sport. Personally I'd like to see LD as a strong division of its own, with different venues within LD to accomplish individual goals. Meaning mileage competition for mileage awards, and competitive for open riders who ride for speed, with different start times. It would sort out a lot of problems with starting new riders and new horses. Seems like a win/win. I'd also like to see graduated mileage pinnacles for riders/horses beginning the sport. Meaning you don't start at 25 miles. You reach pinnacle mileage goals. Starting at 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. (with only the last two counting as accrued mileage but the others required as a primer to the sport).
And off I go for a fun filled day in the world of mental health :)
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association