Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
March 31, 2012
Heat Bumps ? Friction Bumps?
Remember last year when I tried the Abetta with Journey and she broke out in some kind of horrible hive like bumps all over her back? I switch to the Crestridge and it all resolved to be seen no more until this week. She shed out her winter coat and we last worked on getting her average speed up to about 7 mph on the flats for a third of a mile at a time. Post ride that evening her back was sensitive and by morning those little hive-like bumps. Not as bad as last year, but even with three full days off she was sensitive to the brush last night. To say I am concerned is a serious understatement. Not sure if it is heat? Friction? I've sent entry money in for four rides, scheduled up vacations out the wazoo for the next few months, put all new tires on the horse trailer, AND BOUGHT A NEW TRUCK so LSEGH could reliably drive all over creation to crew for me without having to camp. I mentioned yesterday that I have a wool pad on order and this situation is what prompted that. I'm saying a prayer to the mysterious endurance mo-jo powers that be....PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME AGAIN. Please. I'll crawl through the dirt, tattoo endurance icons on my skin, I'll light a ceremonial torch, I'll sacrifice a cat (well-not really but you get my drift). ~ E.G.