"In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet."
In the spirit of this, how often do we get so darned caught up in the goal (whatever that goal may be) that we lose touch with the essence? At times I find myself so very focused that I truly have tunnel vision. All the beauty right beside me fades to shades of brown, and grey, or disappears completely because I only have sight of one thing. I've been trying this almost endurance thing for a long time now, and I've decided that I just don't care. Journey and I will do whatever Journey and I can do. We do not need to meet anyone's expectations but our own. Mine will be simple. I'm gonna scratch the horse. I'm going to bend and supple her neck and kiss her speckled muzzle. I might become a magical horse REIKI specialist *smiles*. Journey might attend an endurance ride, she might finish, she might not. I may never be anybody of note or anybody that matters, and I may not have the answers. But you know what? That's okay. I'm going to encourage people in their try, even if their try is different from mine. I'm going to be kind and if I see you at a ride I'll smile and tell you that I'm so glad you came, and you are going to have a great time (and you will). If you stumble in that process I'll hug you and tell you what I know (it isn't much, but your's for the asking) that could maybe make it better. I will not cut you down if you fail and I will remind you to look down and see those flowers at your feet. 'Cause really...all you have to do is look in those big brown horsey eyes, and remember what they give you, and how can you have a bad day? I've met some really nice supportive people in the process of this sport and my blog. (I'm grateful for each and every one) You will like it too, come and ride Endurance. ~ E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association