Spring Training/ Conditioning
By Nancy S. Loving, DVM
If you really want to know...this woman is "the" source. In fact she wrote the book on endurance (literally). Go the Distance and also ALL SYSTEMS GO (on my wish list).
This three page article outlines how to start a conditioning program with the horse you have through first LSD (long slow distance) for three months to build muscular endurance, ST (strength training) for six months to a year builds muscular strength, and finally four to five months into the program IT (interval training) to build cardio fitness.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association