Some key points mentioned in the article:
- Do several 50's prior to a 100.
- When your horse can finish the last leg of a fifty as fast as he started, he's probably able to do a 100.
- Ride your ride, you don't HAVE to use the 24 hours to complete. Many horses complete in well under that time window.
- Feeding and supplemental programs are kept pretty darned simple. Hay people! Lots of hay!!!
- Ride in the dark prior to trying a 100 some people get motion sick in the dark.
- Expect the horse to hit a wall at some point and work through it.
- Expect you might hit a wall at some point and work through it.
To read more of both women's articles go to: AERC Education: Moving up in Distance
*Please note there are a number of broken links on this page, you just have to sort through them... ~ E.G.