I don't know "what" is wrong with me. My drive, my focus, my mo-jo...seems to have evaporated with Phebe's tie-up. It is like a concrete wall has been set in front of me and I try to step forward only to smack into the concrete. My motivation is seriously lacking. SERIOUSLY.
There are so many things, mostly little stuff, that need to be resolved before Journey can attempt a ride. I've been hammering at getting her gear ready and am stalled until we get her front booted. The simple solution would be to have her shod on front, but her walls are thin, and I would then compromise the hoof wall thickness I'm wanting to build. So boots or the lack there of are a real barrier at the moment. Many micro training issues to sort through. Most of those will come with time, the "biggy" being her herd bound, buddy sour, don't leave me on the trail syndrome. I've got at least half of that corrected now that she can leave the barn and horses at home without any major melt-downs. Now I have to work that through out on the trail with other horses. I had my daughter ride off a few times last week and that resulted in high headedness, rearing attempt, bucking attempt, and a very "up" horse. I wasn't fearful at any time as she is testing, but also has a lazy streak that once corrected a few times she doesn't find the behavior worth it. So I'm going to ask Holly if she will go to the park with me and play leap frog for an hour or two. For my sake, I'd like the humidity to break first (may I interject that Funder has NICE weather).
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association