For those who sent boat loads of prayers our way. Mom is much better.
I went to visit today. You would have to know my mom to understand the irony of this but she is worried "that her legs won't be pretty in shorts anymore." On Wednesday last she stopped breathing during a diagnostic procedure, had to be intubated, had emergency open heart surgery on Thursday, with a coronary bypass and the aortic valve replaced. Today I asked her "Mom, what do you remember about the past week (she was unconscious for four days). " She said she remembered going in for the diagnostic procedure, and suddenly all those people acted like they'd gone crazy." She says" you'd think I was dying or something." (she was, she just doesn't know she was). So today she had a pint of my brother's home made veggie soup for breakfast, ate a good lunch, and took two short walks from the bed to the doorway of the room. In light of all that has happened, that my friends is ENDURANCE, she's made of tougher stuff than I am. My Mom is something else...and so glad I can say that.
Life throws some curves sometimes, and much of my life I've not been sure if I'm pitching or catching those, but it sure gives one perspective on what and who is important. The situation this week was pretty bleak, and I've never been very good at just giving something to God. This is probably the first time in my life that I went fully into a tough situation with a heart of acceptance that my creator knows best, and however things worked out, that I would just lay it down, and accept what is instead of agonizing for what I "want." It is a liberating position to take, and it has only taken half a century to get that into my grasp for the very first time. It looks as if we have that favorable outcome, and it is a surprising and beautiful gift. As are the folks who remembered my Mom in prayer. Thank you, you know who you are.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association