December 26, 2010

True Grit



LSEGH and I went to see the 2010 remake of True Grit today.   Directed by Ethan Coen, Joel Coen. Starring Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon.   It was really hard to just not compare this one with the 1969 film adaptation starring John Wayne.  Who can out act the Duke?  But I allowed myself to settle in and embrace the movie for its more realistic tone, and steeled myself against the differences.  It runs pretty paralell until the end where a diversion takes place.  One scene concerning someone's tongue just struck me as near hysterically funny, but I do have a rather bent sense of humor.  Then later of course I had to hold myself in check when "Little Blackie" succumbed in the run for assistance... because I did want to burst out blubbering in the theatre, and this part hit me much harder than the old film.  Maybe because of my "Little Phebers."  My husband and I are still in dispute about which hand was snake bitten, but I'll let you decide on that one.    In the end if their was no John Wayne version I'd say the movie stands very well on its own.  I just can't look at one, without seeing the other! But from my heart I can say there is only one TRUE GRIT.


  ~E.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment