It has been essentially a dry desert wasteland here in southeastern Indiana for the past two months. Measurable rain ZERO. Today the wind picked up, and the clouds stacked and piled one upon the other, the tornado warning system was blaring at my place of work, and soon the grey sky opened in a torrent of rain for at least an hour, and then intermittent showers until late afternoon. So I snagged my elderly grey muzzled boxer, attached a leash and set out on foot to check the creeks for water. Nary, nil, nada, not one iota, zip! NO WATER IN THE CREEKS. I sure hope Henryville faired better on the rainfall than we did. The idea of taking her out into competition (even slow) without anything available to drink should she decide to stick her snooty mare nose into it in the first place really, really, bugs me.
I've given her today, and tomorrow (working twelve tomorrow) off. We will haul out either Thursday or Friday, can't make up my mind yet, so may need to do a short ride in between somewhere. Her concentrate ration has been seriously cut back until we hit ride camp. My turtles are all hanging out in a box at the horse trailer, and my horse is covered in mud from rolling in it, guess she missed it all these months.~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association