Right now I have myself about a ten mile horse. We covered sixteen miles but it was like trying to squeeze toothpaste out of an empty tube. Old behaviors in attendance included, not eating, and not drinking for the first 15 miles. By the time she started drinking at about the 15 mile mark, she was pretty well used up. We weren't breaking any sound barriers either, just walk, trot, walk, trot with one very brief canter on a flat trail.
Temps today: 87.7 °F
Heat index: 91 degrees °F
We are going to have to hustle to build back up to 30 miles again.
On the booting frontier...we ran with Easyboot Gloves on the front, and bare on the hinds. I was not impressed with the sport tape for giving the boot a little extra grip. The Mueller's unraveled once it was wet. I've had far better luck using a good quality vet wrap. On the positive side she was much more forward booted. We did the first lap booted, and the second bare hooved and lost a lot of time slowing down for the various graveled areas on the trail. Next long ride I'm going to try using Epics on the front, and Gloves on the hinds. We have to work out our hind boot issues prior to our next competition. If all else fails I'll order some Goober Glue! I need to dig out my power straps and get them on the hinds for a snugger fit. No rubs today! I've come to believe that rubs are due to OVER tightening the gaiters.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association