Doug put a fresh trim on Phebes hooves tonight and they do look "fine." (sorry unmotivated with the camera lately).
After each trim I have to grab an Easyboot Glove and see how our fit is looking. It was a major go on three hooves, and a more or less fit on the other front hoof. This particular hoof is very slightly clubbed, and a shorter hoof overall than her other three which are all perfect 0.5's. I really feel that the length of a size O would be a better fit, however she has the width of an 0.5, which leaves me with a dilemma...do I boot using the 0.5 and allow her to have that dead air space at the toe? What about a clean breakover? So I've decided to purchase a size 0 and do a little experiment with the boot. When I do so I will photo document the process, and the result. Worse case scenerio I'll be out about $50, and I'll continue on as I have since she's never lost a front boot except for the time she was tearing across hilly, muddy terrain "sans" rider (who was slogging up and down the hills in pursuit sweating a major river).
I haven't decided which method I will try on the Glove to make the size "O" a good fit... (I have two ideas in mind, but can only use one of them) but I'm thinking with just a little tweaking, I can get the atypical hoof to fit the boot. I'll link you up and keep you posted when I put my plan into action.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association