Riding in shorts was given a try of late, and with the sheepskin cover for saddle and leathers I'm finding it very "doable." What I did find however was that my particular pair of tennis shoes were uncomfortable in my enclosed easyride stirrups. The outer side of my foot presses uncomfortably against the stirrup. Over the long haul that would be a definite deal breaker of discomfort.
Are any of you riding in shorts? What type have you found works for longer distances ( To my knowledge no manufacturer is making a riding short vs. tights)
When riding in tennis shoes which brand do you find most supportive both on the horse and tailing up hills? (my current shoe of choice has been the ariat boots that resemble a cross between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot) I'm looking for a supportive, lightweight, tennis shoe that will give comfort in the stirrup, but be supportive when on foot.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association