Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
June 3, 2010
At the Vet Check (ride camp or away)
Sometimes on a ride especially the longer rides one or more of your vet checks could be away from ride camp. So what do you pack for these, and how do you get it there?
The night before the ride when you check in with ride management ask them where to put your stuff if you are having an away check (if not away you just pick out a place near the vetting area and set up yourself the night before there).
You will probably need:
Hay (a few flakes of whatever your horse really REALLY likes, a little alfalfa mixed in is good, but don't over do it).
Water buckets (2) one for sponging, one for drinking (water from home is great if your horse is finicky about water).
Horse snacks if your horse likes carrots, apple slices, or horse cookies.
Sponges. I like to have two big fat sponges so one is soaking up water while I'm using the other. You can certainly get by with one, or cut down a bleach jug with the cap on tight to make a half gallon scoop.
Small cooler. In this I have my lunch, water bottles that I froze at home prior to coming, electrolytes already drawn up in syringes (mine are diluted so I give several) and ice packs.
A rump rug, light blanket, or heavier blanket dependent on the weather forecast to keep those big muscles warm.
I'm sure you all keep other things in your crew bags (or in my case a rubber tote with lid). Care to share?