May 23, 2010

Really good 20 mile conditioning ride today.

Today was the hottest day we've had for 2010 so far, temps in the 83 degree range with 47 % humidity. I was a little concerned about the heat. She doesn't handle the heat well, nor do I. The only way to used to it is to expose yourself to it in gradual doses I'm told. We broke our ride up today doing 12 miles first, returning home, sponging, letting her eat and she REALLY CHOWED DOWN. She had a wet mash, some dry chow, and a flake of hay before going out again for another 8.5 miles of walk, trot, and canter. We did walk in the last mile, I sponged her with cool water, and she dropped really quickly. Doug pit crewed for us just as if we were at a ride. This time our training ride was only 5 miles short of an LD. She will have tomorrow off, and then I'll just keep her loosened up between now and the weekend. I finally feel like we are beginning to make progress. The learning curve for endurance is steep. A big thank you to Chris (MONK's dad) for assisting me in this learning process on the issue of conditioning, junk miles, and building a stronger horse. ~E.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment