Who do you look up to as an endurance rider and why?
#1 on my local list is Bill Wilson. He is seventy-something but puts most of the young and middle aged riders to shame in this region. I want to be doing what I love as I continue to get older. I look up to his continuing to do what he loves. He also graciously shares his farm as "RIDE CAMP" for almost all of the Indiana endurance rides. So thanks Bill, all of us sure appreciate who you are and your gracious hospitality. And by the way...Bill's no slacker at endurance.
#2 also on my local list is Christine Eickleberry. She is my mentor and also our regional AERC trails advocate. It is difficult to adequately describe Chris. Part "tough old broad" vs. wonderful soft-hearted friend. She started communicating with me when this little horsey dream ignited, and she has ridden many many miles with me, and soaked a towel with cold water and flopped it on my head when I had heat exhaustion. She's also one of the darned funniest people I know and always makes me laugh. All I can ever hope to do is chase her down a trail (as I gasp for air).
#3 (but probably #1 out of my region) is Karen Chaton. You just don't ride horses that far, that many miles, over and over and over...unless you are doing something terribly right. It isn't magic. The woman knows what she is doing. She is good at it. I respect that.
#4 is someone I don't know much about as far as their ride history, but would darned sure like to meet and ride with one day is Angie Mcghee. Fact is...if you ride distance long enough, you'd better get a sense of humor. Angie's humor muscles are well conditioned :)
Let me know...WHO? and WHY?
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association