When I got up at 6:00 AM it was raining, and at 10:00 when I was supposed to leave it was STILL RAINING, and 40 degrees. I just couldn't see hauling an hour to find that it would shower again, freeze our pahtoonies off, and haul home. I called and left Nicole a message that we were canceling. I hated it, and actually struggled with it, but just didn't trust the weather to cooperate. It did finally quit raining here about 2:30 this afternoon, so I saddled her up and we slogged through mud for an hour a half. No speed...still sinking to the pastern or deeper many places. But her nostrils were flaring so I figure it was a workout, even though not optimal either distance or timewise.
Nicole, I'm sorry for the cancellation. I just didn't want to haul all that way and maybe have to just load her up and haul back. If the weather cooperates I would still like to plan for Clark but we'll have to be in phone contact on our departure times etc. ~E.G.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association