Especially that trotting gear. I like to keep the trot between 5.5 and 7 mph, Phebes is wanting to trot at 9-13 mph, then as she gets up to 13 mph she wants to break gait. OH FUN. NOT. So we worked and worked and worked on those issues tonight and really didn't get it solved. It perplexes me that up in the front lot where we do schooling exercises she will trot just like I want her too. Long and low, nice and easy....put her on the trail and *BOING* up comes the head, and she starts power trotting. Folks there is something to be said for a push button horse, but I couldn't attest to that from experience. I think Phebes pushes MY BUTTONS *LOL*
Anyhoo, we had a good ride this afternoon. 10.25 miles with multiple uphill power trotting intervals to get that pulse up, and then we'd either trot it down, or walk it down to an aerobic rate again. I was hanging off her ears at one point this afternoon, never did figure out what she spooked and rolled back at. Just thankful to not come off altogether.
Pre-ride she had Gatoraid laced with a little e-lyte, and by the time we got out back she TANKED up. TWICE!!! I don't know why I was so resistant to try e-lytes in the first place, but it is going to be standard operating procedure from here on out. At home I'll keep her dose low as she has salt and loose minerals available 24/7, but figure the repetition will be good for her. It took her less than one minute to pulse down after a very technical 10.25 miles, so I feel pretty good about our upcoming trip to Clark on the weekend. ~E.G.
She is shedding!!! This means the blue sky and singing birds today were not a hallucination.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association