Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
October 12, 2009
**Sigh** Now scratches on her left hind
Photo by Lida
I was thrilled to see the fronts looking pretty well cleared up after several weeks of treatment, only to pick up her left hind and thought she had dried mud back there. WRONG. She is not a good girl about her hind feet. She is tolerant as long as no discomfort is involved, but try to get those scabs off and you will likely get cow kicked. She'll warn you, then she will let you have it. So I had to improvise with "the scrubbing stick" that I save from last year's episode of scratches. It has a green kitchen scrubby thing duct taped to a a broom handle. Dip it in warm water, squirt on iodine wash and scrub. If she threatens to kick I ignore her, if she kicks she gets corrected, and then I go to scrubbing again. I managed to get the scab off and she let me pick it up to put our homemade anti-scratch goo on. Hoping I can clear the hind more quickly than I did the fronts!
We had an hour schooling lesson this evening. Mostly yielding off of my inside leg, pushing her toward the fence, and out on the curve of a circle. We trotted the poles a little but she wasn't being too cooperative on that. I had them on a pretty tight curve to the left and she kept avoiding the last one. When she finally went over those right we quit. Looking forward to some sunshine for the weekend....I'd like to get a lesson in and then get some miles again on Sunday if at all possible. ~E.G.