The ride season is winding down ever so quickly. Another six weeks and we will turn the corner to crisp weather here in Indiana. Fall is my favorite time of year for riding, hiking, and sky gazing those lovely cloud formations and moonscapes you only see at this time of year. But as the geese begin to wing south, I tend to become a couch potato, with nose buried deep in a book, or "twitter" my time away on Facebook and the internet in general. Last year I rode the exercise bike and used exercise bands, and some hand weights to build some strength as I was very out shape after a month or so out of the saddle. Each winter I promise myself that I will come out stronger, and like the best planned New Year's resolution...it doesn't exactly work out to plan.
So! If any of you have embarked on a simple workout and weight loss plan that was sensible and sustainable, I'd love to hear about it. I've been lately trying to limit my consumption of starches, simple carbohydrates, and empty foods (chips, crackers, candy, baked goods). Trying to lean more towards melon and fruit when the urge for sweetness assaults me, cut out my FAVORITE MCDonald's $1 any size sweet tea *sigh*, and taking my lunch to work more often to avoid the hazard of fast food. This has been going on now for about three weeks, and I've been afraid to weigh myself for fear that NOTHING HAPPENED and I will run madly to kitchen and bake a to die for banana creme pie :-/
I'm open to tips, and accountability. My name is Granny and I'm a carboholic.
Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association