Discipline: LD/Endurance, CMO, Trail Rider, Cartoonist, Writer, Co-Director/ Green Bean Endurance
Favorite Links for training, gear, and memberships!
- National Association of Competitive Mounted Orienteering
- HOW TO CMO
- What is CMO?
- Old Dominion Endurance Rides
- Renegade Hoof Boots
- Riding vs. Racing a discussion with the Duck.
- Trumbull Mountain's INTRO TO ENDURANCE RIDING
- Principles of Conditioning
- Conditioning the endurance horse by SERA
- Short Article: Feeding & Training the Endurance Horse
- Feeding the Endurance Horse, Swedish Author
- Preventing Dehydration In the Endurance Horse, Ontario Competitive Trail Riding Association
- Jim Holland's fantastic training links here!
- South Eastern Distance Rider's Association
May 13, 2009
Phebe's lab reports were in the mail this afternoon
There were some abnormal high values that bothered me. Her BASO was within normal range, but a high normal. Her CA was slightly elevated. ALB was slightly high, and her AST was twice the number it should have been. Given all this her CK was normal....but I wasn't feeling good about the AST. A little online research on AST levels and tye-up says the two are related. When there has been muscle damage and there is inflammation in the body the AST will go up. So I started asking myself is Phebes really ready to go back to work? My horse vet here said yes, but I am her first, one, and only endurance client. That does not make me feel secure. So I wrote Maureen Fehr's DVM with a plea for advice concerning to ride or not to ride. Maureeen wrote me back (thank you!!!). The advice being that she needs some more time off to get that AST value down. Gentle riding, and short non-intense sessions like we are doing every other day or so is okay. But nothing strenous, no hills, no sand, no mud. So I'm going to continue holding off until at least June 1st. All of me wants out there again, but not if it will hurt Phebes. I hold such a responsibility for what went wrong, that I definitely want to get this part right, even if I am inconvenienced in the meantime with very little saddle time. The blood work was a good follow up indicator of what is going on with her, and I'm so grateful they sent me a copy of the test result or I'd have proceeded as advised, which likely would have set things up for another failure.